Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Build Nmap-5.00 without sctp support

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 10:14:17 -0600

On Sat, Jul 25, 2009 at 04:03:21AM -0700, Giovanni Bechis wrote:
Hi, I started to port nmap-5.00 to OpenBSD and I "saw" that there is no
option to build nmap without sctp support (which is not available on
OpenBSD). Is there a plan to add such a configure option ?

Hello. There should be no need to port Nmap to OpenBSD. If it takes
special work to make it compile or run then it's a bug, so please submit
a patch so that we can integrate it with the mainline code.

I could be mistaken in this, but I don't think Nmap requires the
operating system to support SCTP. It builds its own packets from
scratch. Have you tried it, and does it work?

# nmap -sY -F scanme.csnc.ch

Starting Nmap 5.05BETA1 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2009-07-25 10:12 MDT
Interesting ports on fury.ustdmz.roe.ch (213.144.141.30):
Not shown: 39 closed ports
PORT    STATE SERVICE
7/sctp  open  echo
9/sctp  open  discard
80/sctp open  http

Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 4.98 seconds

If Nmap doesn't produce any output, that doesn't necessarily mean that
SCTP is broken. It has been reported that a lot of networking devices
like NAT don't properly handle SCTP. Use the --packet-trace option to
see if the packets are being sent.

David Fifield