WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Secure Coding? Bah!

From: "Taco Fleur" <tacofleur () nella net au>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 14:25:00 +1000

I see now this is one of those not so user-friendly lists that puts the
author of the post in the "to" of the email.
So I'll resend the posts I send earlier..

You are so right, and I am so thankful I finally found someone who feels the
same way ;-)

This week I have been trying to get this point across to several mailing
lists I am signed up with, but they all shy away as soon as the word
security is mentioned.

I even had to battle with some of them thinking it is ok that a cracker gets
access to Joe Nothing Bloggs admin panel, because its an insignificant
website, but what they forget is that it's an open door to their domain,
their own website is hosted on the same machine, etc. etc.

I too had to clean up code, well, I didn't get to clean it because it not a
priority of the company, its like in the article - first make more money,
and not caring about the security of the sensitive data of clients, in some
cases Credit Card info....

Just today I had someone point out a XSS hole on my own website, I am fairly
familiar with the holes on my website and will fix them in due time ;-)) but
he posted the hole on a public place and everybody attacked him for it, but
I applaud him for it, because 1. he contacted me first 2. if he does not
post it in a public place nothing gets done about it.. Am I rambling on yet?
Ok.....

Taco Fleur
Blog http://www.tacofleur.com/index/blog/
Methodology http://www.tacofleur.com/index/methodology/