WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: PCI DSS Compliance

From: "Steven Jones" <Steven.Jones () vuw ac nz>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 11:58:56 +1300

Is it in the terms of conditions you have with the client to allow this?
If not well....

We sometimes open up the firewall just for an agreed period, say we set
a temp rule that expires in 5 days automatically....only from that
specific IP to a specific IP.

Of course our protection is the firewall, so in effect it passes...logic
should tell the security firm this.

We also find that lots of these customised scanners look for version of
software on a port and if its is < the latest it gets a flag, of course
Linux distro's backwards patch and version control is different so in
effect a redhat mailmain 2.5.1.64 (say) could be patched to a "real
mailman 2.5.3 and be safe, but the scanner says not.

My answer in these circumstances is, if the client has paid for this
work with the 3rd party security company we work with them, if not they
get told of the cost and it is up to them to pay us or not.

Also in your terms of conditions there should be something about routine
patching, say every 3 months, important patching done in say 7 days,
critical patching done in 3 days, critical with a known exploit 8
hours....and a disclaimer that you don't take responsibility for a
critical patch breaking the system. We have a rolling program every 3
months, so the client(s) know when the server will be patched and
whether to object or not, or test or not.

Regards

Steven aka thing