WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: PCI DSS Compliance

From: "Lyal Collins" <lyal.collins () key2it com au>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 07:04:41 +1100

I don't think it's a question of the PCI document being right or wrong, but
of compliance to a set of domumented requirements in order to either stay in
business or minimise financial impact on a company if a security breach
involving credit cards occurs.

PCI requires, among 190+ other things, vuln scanning of all internet facing
systems, and those internal systems that process cardholder data, not the
entire internal network.  PCI also requires an annual pen-test, to attempt
to exploit  scanning-discovered vulnerabilities.  Of course you may choose
to scan the rest of the entire network as part of enterprise security
management.

lyal