WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: PCI DSS Compliance

From: null0 () nepea com au
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 09:53:38 +1100

The wording of the standard is in section 2-3. It basically states that an IPS/IDS is not to interfere with the scan. It does not NOT say that it "MUST be disabled at least for the IP address conducting the vulnerability scan". It lists a number of options, that can be used in order to prevent the IPS/IDS interfering with the scan. At the end of the day, is it such a bad thing for the CC companies to be laying down an industry benchmark for the safe use of Credit Card processing and storage? I understand that there may be issues with the state if security at companies, but since when has security through obscurity been the 'done thing'. Personally I would very much like to know about my network, and applications, especially if they had issues that could ultimately prevent my company doing business with Visa or Mastercard. null0