WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: PCI DSS Compliance

From: "Craig Wright" <cwright () bdosyd com au>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 06:15:10 +1100

First I have done a dissertation on vulnerability testing and have shown it to be 25-35% as effective as a full audit
done by competant and unhindered staff, so I have no issues with arguing that automated scans are ineffective.

The PCI DSS does not just require a scan for patches. This is the error in your comments.

Further, obscurity is less than no defence and usually makes a site less secure.

You are commenting on the accurace of a document you have not read in full. This is not a good practice and definately
not scientific. There are issues in that many companies are doing "scans" that do not meet the PCI DSS requirements -
this is a separate issue. There are a few issues here:
1   is the company autorised to do the work (ie on the PCI DSS approved list)
2   are they approved at the required level

If they are, and they do not do the tests correctly and fully they should be removed from the pannel

If they are not on the pannel they can not do the work. (full stop)

What the hosted company is doing comes into the level of assessment as well. The company conducting the "scan" has to
be assured to a material level (as defined in audit terms) that the site complies with the standards. This is a
compliance issue. Further securtiy measures are a separate issue. The company seeking the test is seeking compliance
not necessary security. These are very different things.

The "scanning" company has to for example be assured to a material level that the hosts are all single purpose and not
"virtual" servers. Thus this is more than a simple scan.

Craig