WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: get network user name

From: "Adam Tuliper" <amt () gecko-software com>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 20:59:37 -0500

One thing to note is unless authentication is enabled on the webserver you won't get this information. Im going on the assumption that Josh didn't make note that there would be authentication, sounded like its already a trusted internal environment. If the server doesn't prompt the client for authentication, this information won't be sent in the request headers. I believe IE will first send the current logged on user named when prompted by the webserver (although I seem to recall this behavior was changed because of a MITM attack that you can do with the ntlm challenge/response but I could be wrong). If you arent going to actually use the information for any actual authentication you would need to write an isapi filter (iis assuming) etc. to prompt the client, and discard the result and then allow access.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Josh" <its.josh () verizon net>