WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: get network user name

From: Josh <its.josh () verizon net>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 23:16:09 -0500

Give this a try to get Firefox to authenticate automatically. (I cant confirm if it works, havent tried it myself)
http://blogs.wdevs.com/shog9/archive/2005/03/09/2668.aspx
You can see my previous email for info on setting up IIS so you can use .NET for gathering the user name. No client-side apps are required, all authentication is handled by the browser.

John Bond wrote:
First of all Thank you for all your responses.  Let me expand on wht
the situation is.
The server can be either windows or *nix
The webserver can be apache2 or IIS
The client will be either windows or *nix.
the browser can be anything but i could limit this to firefox and MSIE
if needed but firefox is a must
the languaged used can be preety much anything par assembly. if needed
seperate extentios for MSIE and firefox could be writen.
The whols process should be seemless from the users point of view.

All the users will be logged into a win 2003 Active directory domain. it is this login name which i require (possibly their password or a
kerbose ticket if possible).

What i need is the loged in users usersname.  This will be used to
query the active directory to find out infomation about a the user. If i am unable to bind to the ldap as the user i could bind as a
generic use that had read writes.  However this would mean having a
script containig a username/password that had read rights to the
entire AD.  This means that the web server has to trust any infomation
it gets, as i said this is an intranet site so some restraint can be
taken, but not much and im sure some would say it shouldnt make a
difference.

**Nemesis Knight said
If this is an Intranet site running IIS on a Windows Server...the information is already
contained in the IIS Event Logs.
The logs can only get the username from basic auth (i think) I would
like their domain login username

**Josh said
I've built a few apps that do what you are looking for with .NET and IIS.
This would certanly be usefull.  Would the solution requier any .NET
support on the client side? as this may not be possible du to the use
of *nix systems.

**Fears, Erik said
Use NTLM authentication (SSIP) if everyone is part of an NT domain.
This looks like a good idea.  My understanding is i can implment in
php (with cURL), i imagine aspx and posibly perl.  It is also
supported by firefox and MSIE is that correct?  is their support for
other browser specificly opera and Konqueror?

**Adam Tuliper said
One thing to note is unless authentication is enabled on the webserver you
won't get this information.
Could you please expand on this it seems that NTLM can be done with a
php solution using the cURL library.

**Adam Tuliper said
I believe IE will first send the current logged on user named when prompted by the
webserver
When you say prompt are you refering to a webserver prompting a client
or a physicle user seesing a prompt

**Adam Tuliper said
If you arent going to actually use the information for any actual authentication you would > need to write an isapi filter
(iis assuming) etc. to prompt the client, and discard the result > and then allow access.
I hope to use this infomation to bind to AD as the user and retrive a
couple of attributes.  However writing an ISAPI filter (or an apache
mod) is doable and propably preferable to designing a tool bar.

**Josh said
The only other browser I've tested was Firefox which requires the
user to manually log in.
Ohh... this could be a show stopper.  is there another solution or
could firefox be given support via an extention.

Any way thankyou all for your comments.  Please keep them coming.
 Idealy i want a solution   that could be rolled out to as many
combanations of the following as possible.
server os: any
browser: any
web server: IIS, Apache
server side language:asp/aspx, php, cgi
idealy there sould be nothing for the client to install on their side

Watchfire's AppScan is the industry's first and leading web application security testing suite, and the only solution to provide comprehensive remediation tasks at every level of the application. See for yourself. Download AppScan 6.0 today.

https://www.watchfire.com/securearea/appscansix.aspx?id=70130000000BxQ1