WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: OT: Inserting Ads without breaking the SSL

From: "Zaninotti, Thiago" <thiago () nstalker com>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 17:05:47 -0300

The way it is mentioned, it probably seems to be some kind of transparent proxy. I would avoid any important HTTPS transaction without making sure you are really connected to the target server (such as Internet Banking). Although they may create somehow a transparent proxy to provide you with SSL content, the x.509 certificate used will not be the same of the desired Internet Service (check it before executing any further SSL transaction).

Another way to go would be a "clientless" acceleration channel, where you would be required to download an activeX/Java component so HTTP/HTTPS connections would go straight forward using their "clientless" solution -- that way, they would be able to provide Ads even for SSL connections.

Thiago Zaninotti,Security+,CISSP-ISSAP,CISM
----- Original Message ----- From: "Jason" <security () brvenik com>