Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Full Disclosure works, here's proof:

From: ccshag () cclabs missouri edu (Paul 'Shag' Walmsley)
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 1994 17:53:15 -0600 (CST)

On Sun, 4 Dec 1994, Karl Strickland wrote:

One important point is, if you dont know what the hole is, you cant be sure
its fixed.  Some people are more reluctant to take these things on trust,
after seeing what happened with Sun's binmail patches.

A good example of this is SGI's '/usr/sbin/printers' patch for IRIX 5.2.
That patch was out for several months before it was discovered that the
same flaw in printers also existed in SGI's visual login program!

If full details of what this patch patched were propagated along with the
patch, I believe that this problem would have been discovered much sooner.

- Paul "Shag" Walmsley <ccshag () everest cclabs missouri edu>
  "The only difference between myself and a madman is that I am not mad."
       - Salvador Dali