Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Hackers Out of Business?

From: jeromie () mmp com (jeromie)
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 94 16:01:59 PDT

Timothy J. Kordas writes;

Subject: Re: Hackers Out of Business?
To: cklaus () shadow net
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 1994 21:58:15 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: bugtraq () crimelab com, firewalls () GreatCircle COM, mcn () lanl gov
Sender: bugtraq-owner () crimelab com

  This all sounds like hyped up free software to me. Anyone disagree?
-Mike

I disagree.  It is security that strikes back!  Now we all can sleep at nite
now that someone has finally figured out security and implemented it
correctly.  8-)

I grabbed their technical FAQ from ftp.sctc.com.  Rather amusing.  They
talk about how they deal with UDP packets and they say,'We dont allow any
services that UDP packets.'.  Well, Gee, I guess sidewinder isnt going to
work well in a client-server based setup.  But the most amusing part of

I too went and got their hokey little "technical FAQ" (a marketing pamphlet
with nice little pictures of bombs).

my first reaction to all of this kind a dreck is "well sure it'll be secure if
you take out all of the services."...

that is EXACTLY what they've done.

yeah the system is on the net, but why ?...you can't *DO* anything.

        Well, I figured I'd throw in a little enlightenment to those of you
who don't keep up with firewall systems.  The basic going theory is to shut off UDP service (DNS is faked).  Thus, they
make a valid argument.  Obviously their advertisments are trying to get publicity for the company.  It's obvious
Winn Schwartau thought he was writing another book when they made the brochures <grin>

        The product seems pretty good from what I've read thus far.  It's rather layme that they claim they 'taunted
hackers' when barely anyone I've spoken to
knew anything about it.  Another, more important note, is that they
didn't bring it to people known in the industry for their security specialty.  Iwould be a bit more willing to swallow
this huge lump of sh*t if someone like
Willam Cheswick or Steven Bellovin was the one doing the evaluation.