funsec mailing list archives

RE: write viruses? it's controversy time of the month

From: Blanchard_Michael () emc com
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 13:33:34 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: funsec-bounces () linuxbox org [mailto:funsec-bounces () linuxbox org]
On Behalf Of Larry Seltzer
Sent: Wednesday, August 30, 2006 11:41 AM
To: funsec () linuxbox org
Subject: RE: [funsec] write viruses? it's controversy time of the month

 So what about nachi?  The supposed "good worm" to remove Blaster
infections and apply ms03-026 Microsoft patch?  Nachi caused WAY more
damage that I've seen than blaster did....

What point are you trying to make here? Nachi was released on purpose.

---> different reasoning behind the releasing of a virus/worm, that's
all.  Does releasing it with good intentions make it ok to release?  In
my eyes it's still a problem that I have to be concerned with,
regardless of why it was written and how/why it was released.

  Mike B