funsec mailing list archives

Re: Consumer Reports Slammed for Creating 'Test' Viruses

From: "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 17:42:14 -0400

On 8/17/06, Blue Boar <BlueBoar () thievco com> wrote:
OK, so if I write a virus today and test today's signature files... it's
not a valid test.  However, if I save today's signature files, let
*other people* volunteer to write a bunch of viruses, and then test
those, it is.

Kinda. It depends on what you are testing: whether your AV will put
the kibosh on malicious code or whether it will detect Viruses that
are "in the wild".

You may be a better coder than most virus writers. You could be
innovative where some viri authors are just using a util to disguise
their code. The only way to check to see if your AV will detect what
is out there, is by using what is out there.

Of course if you are testing signature turn around, then you have to
write your own IMO.

-JP