funsec mailing list archives

Re: UK: Drivers may be banned from smoking at the wheel

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 11:24:17 -0500

On 5/14/07, Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu <Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu> wrote:
On Mon, 14 May 2007 09:28:17 CDT, Brian Loe said:

> The basic principle of any and all rights is: Your rights end at the
> tip of my nose. Now, given that knowledge, I'm hopeful that you can
> answer your own questions and avoid our moderators rath yourslef.

So you *do* agree that *your* rights end at the tip of *my* nose, and that
therefor you're willing to concede those rights that extend further.  That's
contrary to your original statement:

> I'm not in favor of giving up my rights for ANY purpose, btw. I don't
> have the right to live worry free.

(ANY is *your* caps, btw) - that covers "including the purpose of not extending
past somebody else's nose".  You have the right to use imprecise language that
doesn't say what you actually meant... :)

I'm so very sorry that you have such trouble with the English
language, but here again is what I said, as you quoted it:
Your rights end at the tip of my nose.

Now what rights am I willing to give up again? After all, any that
would do you harm are not rights to begin with, as I stated clearly in
this oft quoted sentence.

Here's an example I might give one of my children (who didn't take
nearly this long to pick up the concept, btw): I have the right to
travel. I do not, however, have the right to travel through someone
else's property - possibly causing them financial damage.

I have the right to do what ever the hell I like in my car while
driving UNTIL I do you damage. Once I have damaged you, you and the
society I live in have the power to make me pay for it in any
reasonable and humane way.