funsec mailing list archives

Re: UK: Drivers may be banned from smoking at the wheel

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 17:34:14 +0100 (BST)

On Mon, 14 May 2007, Brian Loe wrote:

On 5/14/07, Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu <Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu> wrote:
On Mon, 14 May 2007 09:28:17 CDT, Brian Loe said:

The basic principle of any and all rights is: Your rights end at the
tip of my nose. Now, given that knowledge, I'm hopeful that you can
answer your own questions and avoid our moderators rath yourslef.

So you *do* agree that *your* rights end at the tip of *my* nose, and that
therefor you're willing to concede those rights that extend further.  That's
contrary to your original statement:

I'm not in favor of giving up my rights for ANY purpose, btw. I don't
have the right to live worry free.

(ANY is *your* caps, btw) - that covers "including the purpose of not extending
past somebody else's nose".  You have the right to use imprecise language that
doesn't say what you actually meant... :)

I'm so very sorry that you have such trouble with the English
language, but here again is what I said, as you quoted it:
Your rights end at the tip of my nose.

Now what rights am I willing to give up again? After all, any that
would do you harm are not rights to begin with, as I stated clearly in
this oft quoted sentence.

Here's an example I might give one of my children (who didn't take
nearly this long to pick up the concept, btw): I have the right to
travel. I do not, however, have the right to travel through someone
else's property - possibly causing them financial damage.

We have that right here, and I exercise it almost every day.

I have the right to do what ever the hell I like in my car while
driving UNTIL I do you damage.

No according to the law. There's an offence called "Driving while under
the influence", and you can be punished for that even if you don't do
damage.

Once I have damaged you, you and the
society I live in have the power to make me pay for it in any
reasonable and humane way.

Your rights don't end at the tip of my nose, they end some distance from
there.