funsec mailing list archives

Re: Off Beat: U.S. Navy to Mask Swastika-Shaped Barracks

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 22:30:45 -0500

On 9/26/07, Paul Ferguson <fergdawg () netzero net> wrote:
- -- "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com> wrote:
 >Personally, I don't understand why the government would allow such
satellite imagery to be available to the public. If ever a case for
state secrets, and national security, could be made...

Gee, I didn't know the U.S. Government's authority extended into
space. :-)

It extends so far as it must to maintain state secrets for national
security. It can't put the People at risk or it wouldn't be fulfilling
its only true mission.

Obviously they don't need to regulate what flies over the US, and
can't, but they can still prevent the publication of those items from
within its own borders (Google, last I checked, is physically located
within the borders of the United States - and is probably incorporated
here as well).

Is that kind of like saying that the U.S. Government can pass laws
governing the Internet, too, and all nations on earth should follow
them?

If it were a serious and thought out question (rather than the usual
knee-jerk reaction) I'd provide a serious and thought out answer.

Gosh.

Golly.