funsec mailing list archives

Re: What Happened to The 56 Men Who Signed the DeclarationofIndependence ?

From: "Wayne J. Hauber" <wjhauber () iastate edu>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 11:29:30 -0500

At 08:56 AM 7/9/2007, Brian Loe wrote:
On 7/9/07, Larry Seltzer <Larry () larryseltzer com> wrote:
> >>It was an act of parliament, long before your civil war.
>
> 1809 I think

I guess I'm wrong on this. I was positive I had read 1809 at one point,
but a little Googling indicates that the abolition act was passed in
1833 and took effect in 1834.

Wow....less than 30 years earlier than the US - with a LOT more
experience in such matters. Guess Solly's adopted home isn't so
benevolent after all....

A tidbit I learned during some geneology research...slavery in the Swabian region of Germany was formally abolished in 1921. Apparently, children of poor Swiss peasants were sold, marched across the Alps to work in Swabia... So, I hope that none of my ancestors was involved :-(

See the wikipedia article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swabian_children

Wayne Hauber (515) 294-9890
GCWN GCFA
Information Technology Services
IT Security and Policies
297 Durham Center, ISU, Ames, Iowa 50011
wjhauber () iastate edu