funsec mailing list archives

Re: How much security does $1 trillion buy?

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 13:35:14 -0500

On 8/1/07, Rick Wesson <wessorh () ar com> wrote:

the point is... as a nation we had a choice to go to war.

We have the choice to continue letting the blood run on the streets or
ban motor vehicles.

We have the choice to ban all tobacco products.

We have the choice to refuse medical services to those who can not
afford it, emergency or otherwise, or who are suffering from
self-inflicted injuries or sicknesses.

We have the choice to defend innocence, wherever it may be found,
facing the brutality of evil regimes wherever they may be found. Yes,
this generally means going to war.

So I have to join Dennis in asking, whats the point?

Question: If England had went to war with Germany when Churchill FIRST
called for it, way before England was attacked and just after Poland
was invaded, would you complain about the costs of that war? Did it
cost more to go to war later rather than sooner? Hard to say, but just
in lives lost and and the damage done to London I would have to
believe Churchill was trying to save some money...

So, Saddam wasn't threatening us?
He had, at the least, plans for a nuke program - and the means to obtaining one.
He had chemical weapons out the wazoo.
He paid terrorist families to blow themselves up in Israel.
He shot at ally planes (an act of war by most country's standards).
He gassed his own people.
He drained the marshlands, destroying one of the largest wetland
systems in the world (where are the tree huggers on this?!).

The list of reasons to get rid of Saddam AND his regime just go
on-and-on and we all know about all of them.

What is the cost, to the world, for that wetland being drained away?
How much were the lives of those people he gassed worth? How much were
the lives of those in Israel worth? Would you pay a trillion dollars
to have it all back? 10 trillion? Do you really put a price tag on
such things?