funsec mailing list archives

RE: How much security does $1 trillion buy?

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 00:25:17 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 1 Aug 2007, Alex Eckelberry wrote:

It's worth noting that Chamberlin vastly overstated the abilities of the
Third Reich and had MPs literally cowering in their seats, buttressing
the argument for appeasement.  It's kind of what happened in the Bush
administration, but as a converse -- the power of Germany was overstated
in order to argue for appeasement, instead of war.

(The truth was that Hitler's Germany was not nearly as powerful as
everyone thought and that the Czechoslovak army was at a complement,
strength and morale exceeding the German army.  But the European powers
sabotaged the ability of the Czechoslovak government to fight through
the Sudetenland arrangements made between France, Italy, Germany and the
UK  -- the Munich Agreement/Dictate.  Etc., etc., long historical
discussion could follow but I'm on a short leash time-wise)

You have to put yourself in the position of people in the late 1930s.
Let's say, 1938.

World War I was a very recent memory, it ended only 20 years previously.
And it was a very horrible memory; millions dead in a futile war. A great
many people were resolved "never again".

There was also a new WMD - the bomber, together with poison gas. People
were expecting hundreds of thousands of *civilian* casualties. "The bomber
will always get through" was the thinking of the time, and the memory of
the use of poison gas in WW1 was very fresh. So, people were looking at
hundreds of thousands of civilian casualties.

The children of London were separated from their parents and evacuated to
the countryside. That's how seriously it was taken. And everyone carried a
gas mask at all times.

Yes, WW2 would have been shorter and better if we hadn't dumped the Czechs
in the mud. But you have to understand the motives and feelings at that
time. Maybe Germany wasn't strong, but they had a bomber fleet - a modern
equivalent would be "Iran has a weak army and navy, but they have nukes".

At the time of the Munich appeasement, we didn't have the Chain Home radar
operative, and our fighter fleet wasn't Spitfires (wasn't even Hurricanes,
as I recall). We desperately needed time to "rearm", which mostly meant
the RAF, I think.

Churchill had been advocating rearmament for several years, but the
thinking was, that leads to an arms race, and that leads to war. And there
was a massive depression raging, and thinking at the time was that in
depression, you balance the budget. Keynesian economics hadn't been
invented yet.

It's easy to use hindsight and say, well, they should have known ....

But they didn't.

Oh - and no-one imagined that the French would crack as easily as they
did.