funsec mailing list archives

Re: TrendMicro goes Douchebag

From: "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 13:47:48 -0500

On Jan 30, 2008 1:05 PM, Paul Ferguson <fergdawg () netzero net> wrote:

- -- "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com> wrote:

I don't usually post slashdot, but they have the best commentary:

from: http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/08/01/29/1313206.shtml

Anti-virus firm Trend Micro is suing Barracuda Networks over their use
of the open source anti-virus product ClamAV. The issue is Trend
Micro's patent on 'anti-virus detection on an SMTP or FTP gateway'.
Companies like Symantec and McAfee are already paying licensing fees
to Trend Micro. Groklaw carries the word from Barracuda that they
intend to fight this case, and are seeking information on prior art to
bring to trial. Commentary on the O'Reilly site notes (in strident
terms) the strange reality of patents gone bad, while a post to the
C|Net site explores the potential ramifications for open source
security projects.

I'm somewhat offended at the knee-jerk reaction to this entire
situation, and it is my personal belief that it is purposely being
misrepresented by obviously bias.

The most fair and balanced coverage of this issue I have read
so far is by Brian Prince in eWeek:

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Security/Barracuda-Networks-Bites-Back-at-Trend-Mi
cro/

To represent this issue as an attack against open source software
is a disingenuous and malicious misrepresentation of the issue.

I didn't think it was an attack against open source software, but
rather a patent on "virus scanning on ftp and smtp gateways"

or as the article you quoted says:

"Our claim is that Barracuda is infringing a known and time-tested
patent relating to a method of scanning for viruses at the Internet
gateway/server of businesses. The ITC investigation is focused on how
Barracuda implements certain functionality in certain of its
products."

Sounds pretty scary to me man,

-JP