funsec mailing list archives

Re: TrendMicro goes Douchebag

From: security curmudgeon <jericho () attrition org>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 04:39:48 +0000 (UTC)

: Are any of the (former) Integralis folk still around reading these
: lists?
:
: Are any of the journos trying to get answers to these questions?
:
: USPTO 5,623,600:
:
: http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-
: Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-
: bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PTXT&s1=5,623,600.PN.&OS=PN/5,623,600&R
: S=PN/5,623,600
:
: was originally filed 26 September 1995 and MIMEsweeper was definitely
: being publicly talked about in terms of using it as an Email gateway
: virus scanning service earler than that, as this archived Usenet post
: from 3 July 1995 clearly shows:
:
: http://groups.google.com/group/comp.security.misc/browse_thread/thread/7
: 2827a6c05f2853d/d74f6ab12ce7251e?lnk=st&q=#d74f6ab12ce7251e

Good stuff Nick. In a five minute Google search (because my memory of
products around that time period is poor), I was curious what other A-V
products were out, and if any were being used in the SMTP / FTP capacity
the patent covers. I didn't find anything right off, but I certainly
remember BBS' in the early 1990's (well before '95) doing virus scanning
of uploaded files. One might argue that such activity would be prior-art
to using FTP to upload files and scanning.

I did run across this, and wonder if anyone remembers the AV products and
if any might qualify as prior art:

http://www.research.ibm.com/antivirus/timeline.htm

[..]

By the end of 1990 there were a number of anti-virus products available.
While researching this timeline, I found a list of scanners I was going to
test for a magazine review. The list is dated December 18, 1990. The
products I had for testing were:

    * AntiVirus Plus from Iris
    * Certus from Certus International
    * Data Physician from Digital Dispatch
    * Turbo Antivirus from Carmel
    * Virex-PC from Microcom
    * Virucide (McAfee's Pro-Scan) from Parsons
    * Virusafe from Elia Shim
    * ViruScan from McAfee

At the time, I felt this list was fairly complete. It isn't. Other
anti-virus scanners from 1990 include:

    * Dr. Solomon's Anti-Virus Toolkit from S&S
    * F-Prot from Frisk Software
    * ThunderByte from ESaSS
    * Vaccine from Sophos
    * Vaccine from World Wide Data
    * V-Analyst from BRM
    * Vet from Cybec
    * VirusBuster from Hunix
    * Virscan from IBM
    * Vi-Spy from RG Software

One other product appeared in December of 1990 of which I had heard
rumors. Its release foreshadowed a new direction the antivirus industry
would take in 1991. The product was Norton AntiVirus.

[..]