funsec mailing list archives

Re: TrendMicro goes Douchebag

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2008 10:49:49 +1300

Larry Seltzer wrote:

I'm not defending the patent and I don't remember everything from when
they talked about it to me, but I do believe it was important to the
patent that it operated as a proxy. Perhaps MIMESweeper didn't work as a
proxy?

Based on Trend's subsequent actions regarding enforcement, it seems
that "being a dedicated scanning device" is the key thing, and _that_
is why the patent fails the "obviousness" test for any vaguely clueful
techie...

In short, Trend is effectively admitting that it did not invent the
idea of passthrough Email virus scanning, merely the (obvious)
procedural "improvement" of off-loading that overhead workload to a
dedicated scanning machine via (the equally obvious, particularly for a
protocol designed from the ground up for relaying and proxying) a
proxy.

And _that's_ why -- sorry ferg -- many folk quite rightly IMNSHO think
of Trend in terms such as "douchebag" for trying to enforce this
clearly bogus patent.  (If it had simply used the patent as a defensive
patent, parrying other vendor's patent infringement claims with this
one it would be a different matter -- still a bogus patent, but
"somewhat reasonably" used only in its own defense...)

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald