funsec mailing list archives

Re: TrendMicro goes Douchebag

From: "Larry Seltzer" <Larry () larryseltzer com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 09:46:45 -0500

Toss my proxy idea, I think Paul has explained the MIMESweeper
connection adequately.

I'm satisfied that they're within their rights for a patent holder. I've
always been a little queasy about software patents; I wish there was
some shorter-term, more flexible form of protection for software and
that the USPTO weren't such morons at analyzing this stuff. I remember
hearing 20-something years ago about someone getting a patent for using
XOR to blink a cursor.

My degree is actually in Public Policy (University of Pennsylvania, '83)
and my senior thesis was on intellectual property protection for
software. I dismissed patents as impractical even though they had just
begun issuiing software patents. I think the first one was in 81 or 82.
Larry Seltzer
eWEEK.com Security Center Editor
http://security.eweek.com/ <http://security.eweek.com/>
<http://blogs.pcmag.com/securitywatch/>
http://blogs.pcmag.com/securitywatch/
<http://blogs.pcmag.com/securitywatch/Contributing>
Contributing Editor, PC Magazine
larry.seltzer () ziffdavisenterprise com