funsec mailing list archives

Re: Mutually Assured DDoS

From: "Tomas L. Byrnes" <tomb () byrneit net>
Date: Sun, 3 May 2009 10:14:36 -0700

Defense, on the modern mechanized air-land battlefield, is more about
channeling attackers, or choosing the ground on which engagements take
place, than the static "defense" of the Napoleonic and pre-blitzkrieg
wars.

That very definitely DOES have a parallel in cyberdefense.

And I disagree that offense, especially as a counterpunch, is something
that is off-limit to respectable actors. If I can detect and own a
botnet that is attacking me, and reverse it on its herders, I think that
is a highly respectable thing to do.