funsec mailing list archives

Re: Rage against spammers and telemarketers

From: Paul M Moriarty <pmm () igtc com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 18:16:22 -0700

On Jul 22, 2009, at 1:06 PM, der Mouse wrote:

BTW, "making terroristic threats" is a very old term of crime, not at
all connected to any recent hysterias.  What this guy did sounds to
me like it should be treated as a serious crime.

Not to me, not in context.

If said seriously, in cold blood, I would agree.  In the context
outlined, I think that is an insane interpretation.

In California, and I suspect many other states, the context is not
relevant.  They spell it right out.  You can't call somebody on the
phone and say, "I going to burn down your business, kill you, your
employees and their families".   It's a felony, whether you "meant it
when you said it" or not.  California Penal Code, Section 422.

- Paul -

P.S.  Blocking "cloaked domains" is silly.  It's just as cloaked
whether I rent a PO Box or PMB or use a service.