funsec mailing list archives

Re: population controls and the Paul Holdren controversy

From: Anton Chuvakin <anton () chuvakin org>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 11:40:23 -0700

If a hypothetical outside observer were looking at our planet, trying
to pick a species whose elimination would most benefit the planet and
(the rest of) its inhabitants, I'd have trouble seeing how to justify
any choice other than Homo sapiens sapiens.  At least I certainly hope
such an outside observer is hypotheical; I _am_ human myself. :-/

I was really not going for this new discussion  direction, but that
piece made me do it :-)

Sorry for sounding like its the 19th century, but humans really ARE
the top of the evolution (as we know it). If WE feel like fucking the
planet, we should be allowed to. No number of birds will stop it.
There is no such thing as "the Planet", but there is "an area where
humans happen to reside for now."

Anthropocentrism is not some kinda bad thing; it is the only one that
makes sense. Thus, we need to preserve nature as it serves us - and,
obviously, destroy it as it serves us. Now, making the choice between
the latter and the former is hard in many situations, especially when
short-term considerations (e.g. cut the forests for firewood, extract
oil for fuel) override the long term...

--
    Anton Chuvakin, Ph.D
   http://www.chuvakin.org