funsec mailing list archives

Re: population controls and the Paul Holdren controversy

From: chris () blask org
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 22:19:29 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Thu, 7/23/09, Anton Chuvakin <anton () chuvakin org> wrote:

I was really not going for this new discussion direction, but that
piece made me do it :-)

Sorry for sounding like its the 19th century, but humans
really ARE the top of the evolution (as we know it). If WE feel like
fucking the planet, we should be allowed to. No number of birds will
stop it. There is no such thing as "the Planet", but there is "an
area where humans happen to reside for now."

Anthropocentrism is not some kinda bad thing; it is the
only one that makes sense. Thus, we need to preserve nature as it serves
us - and, obviously, destroy it as it serves us. Now, making the
choice between the latter and the former is hard in many situations,
especially when short-term considerations (e.g. cut the forests for
firewood, extract oil for fuel) override the long term...

Not only is this all true, but to me the whole narrative about homo sapiens being anything but the driver of this train
is prelude to copping-out on the responsibility to make all those choices.  When we make the wrong ones it isn't Satan
making us, when we make the right ones it isn't Gaea guiding us, and waiting for God/Nature to correct us is going to
be a long boring sit.  We have to consider and make choices, which makes us pretty well unique among our plant and
animal relatives.

Simple fact is that of all the biomass this planet/solar system (and as far as we know, galaxy) has produced, only homo
sapiens has any possibility of causing any of its descendants (and any other lifeforms' descendants) ending up orbiting
inside a red giant star (assuming we avoid the aforementioned planetesimal collision first).

Dolphins are very cool, but they mostly eat fish and play.  They aren't any more moral than Socrates or you, Dear
Reader.

-chris