funsec mailing list archives

Re: population controls and the Paul Holdren controversy

From: "Tomas L. Byrnes" <tomb () byrneit net>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 17:22:44 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: funsec-bounces () linuxbox org [mailto:funsec-bounces () linuxbox org]
On Behalf Of der Mouse
Sent: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 12:23 PM
To: funsec () linuxbox org
Subject: Re: [funsec] population controls and the Paul Holdren
controversy

A lot of the left have nasty skeletons in their closet, [...]

So do a lot of just about every group of even remotely similar size.

I've had discussions with environmentalists who told me with a
straight face that the extra 4 Million deaths a year that are imputed
as being due to banning DDT were a good thing, because they preferred
birds to people.

And what's wrong with that?
[TLB:]
[TLB:] It's mass murder. Knowingly killing millions, and causing
millions more children to be permanently brain damaged, due to an
utterly preventable disease, Malaria, in order to perpetuate things that
you like to see on nat-geo is the height of narcissism. That statement
shows just how sociopathic/misanthropic the environmental movement has
become.

 Just that you disagree?  Certainly birds
have caused a lot less damage to non-bird life than humans have to
non-human life;
[TLB:]
[TLB:] WTF? How many billion insects do birds eat a year? Just because
they're cute and you like them, doesn't make them any more moral than
people in what they consume. Once you start with the "every form of life
is equal" schtick, you quickly wind up with Algae, Zooplankton and
bacteria as the most offended life on the planet.

People at least are capable of moral judgment and conceptualization.
Even the highest functioning animals exhibit no more sophisticated
motivation than eat, sleep, procreate, protect (yes, I know that holds
for many humans too, but there are a great many exceptions). There is
only beauty in the world because humans perceive it so, or create art.
Even Chimps haven't created a single cave painting.

 the only reason I can see for us to prefer people to
birds is that we're people.  (Which, admittedly, is reason enough for
lots of people.)

[TLB:] Governments derive their authority from the consent of the
governed (at least under our system of government). You and the rest of
the "deep ecology" nuts may feel this way, but I guarantee you that most
of the electorate vote in favor of environmental legislation to create a
safe environment for people, not for Gnatcatchers.

If the enviros were honest, none of them would have any political power,
so they lie, and then pervert the apparatus of government. That is what
REALLY gets me going.