funsec mailing list archives

Re: DON'T DO STUPID THINGS!

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 12:54:11 +1200

ferg wrote:

...or (gasp!) a beer glass?

http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2009/08/banning_beer_gl.html

Many years back, here in New Zealand, one of the major hotel chains
(_the_ only national hotel chain??  I was a bit too young to pay
sufficient attention though I seem to recall that they had HANZ printed
on their glasses and this stood for Hotel Association of New Zealand)
voluntarily "banned" glass glasses in their public bars for (allegedly)
similar safety reasons, though the skeptical probably assumed the not
insignificant cost reduction from heavily reduced replacements (from
breakage and outright theft -- few student flats did not have a healthy
stock of HANZ glassware) also played a major part in this.

IIRC it was 7 oz and larger glasses only (i.e. mostly those just used
for serving beer), and included the "handle" and ubiquitous "jug" (that
would be "pitcher" for our North American readers).

Thinking aboutit now, I doubt safety was actually that big of a concern
driving this, for AFAIK few, if any, such hotels stopped selling
"quart" (26 fl oz or approximately 750ml) bottles of beer (at the time
by far the most common delivery method for local beers NOT supplied on-
tap at such hotels) across the bar, meaning there was still plenty of
potential instant glass weaponry at hand in most bars...

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald