funsec mailing list archives

Re: no poison for Joplin

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2011 10:04:26 +0300

On 6/1/11 7:02 AM, Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:
(Which makes sense, really - prisons are for people who refuse to
follow rules, and that's one of the big criteria for sociopathy).

So when we say "spammers should be in jail", that's basically labeling
them as sociopaths that need removing from society.

In Criminology the term "sociopath" isn't used, the term "psychopath"
is. To say Spammers which may be anywhere on the scale of "misguided" to
"soulless criminal" are actually psychopaths is nothing but empty
demagogy. So while it may be easy to use precise terminology - we should
avoid it when we don't understand it. These things have definitions.

Not every anti-social behaviour can be defined as an extreme one (read:
personality disorder - still hate that term). The simplification on
Wikipedia for this term is very poor indeed.

This needs to be clearly defined by the DSM or ICD, and even then it's gray.

        Gadi.