funsec mailing list archives

Re: I'll believe corporations are people when they let them drive in the HOV lane ...

From: Stephanie Daugherty <sdaugherty () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2013 18:28:49 -0500

I've seen calls for direct democracy as a replacement
for representative government. There is a serious danger in that, and that
is tyranny of a majority. Look at Uganda's recent "kill the gays" bill -
can we really be sure that even something as malicious as that couldn't
pass here with Faux News cheerleading it on?

Whatever may take the place of congress in the future, we do have to be
mindful of the "dark side" of democracy - I mean, even in our own history
we once thought slavery and alcohol prohibition were good ideas...