funsec mailing list archives

Re: I'll believe corporations are people when they let them drive in the HOV lane ...

From: Dan White <dwhite () olp net>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2013 11:37:23 -0600

On 02/05/13 12:21 -0500, Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:
On Tue, 05 Feb 2013 08:42:46 -0600, Dan White said:

I do not fear the tyranny of the majority. I believe when push comes to
shove that people will make their own selfish decisions, for the betterment
of themselves and their own families.

There is sufficient evidence in the last few election cycles of people
voting directly contrary to their own self-interest that your belief is
not at all a foregone conclusion.

What evidence? Do you know each and every voter's intentions and desires?
It's extremely tempting to make assumptions about voters who voted for the
other guy, and I've seen or heard a lot of that since November. Short of
physical or financial coercion, which is admittedly a potential problem
for electronic voting, people are just going to vote for who they want to
vote for. The fact that they do vote for someone else just makes me assume
that they have different motivations than I do.

--
Dan White