WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: (not really a) Proposal to anti-phishing

From: "Scovetta, Michael V" <Michael.Scovetta () ca com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 18:35:08 -0500

But IMHO, I think that HTML e-mail should be outlawed, period. That
alone might go a long way to eliminating a lot of phishing schemes,
especially the ones that rely on bugs in the MUA's HTML rendering
engine to entice the victims.

I would vote for certain large software corporations to do a better job
in QA before they release their email clients (and maybe filter out some
bad design ideas too). But the point is that HTML e-mail isn't any more
dangerous in and of itself than __important__ or **important**, except
for poorly designed software. Fixing the software is Easy, taking away
something that people like is Hard.

Besides, if HTML was removed from the equation, you'd still have crafy
text email:

        Dear Consumer,
           We here are Bank of America.. blah blah blah.

           We set up a special server for you to validate your account:
                http://www.malware.com/BankOfAmerica

People are easy to fool.

--
Michael Scovetta