WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: (not really a) Proposal to anti-phishing

From: "Evans, Arian" <Arian.Evans () fishnetsecurity com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 13:06:07 -0600

Validating the site that you are on won't stop phishing,
though it's a swell idea. Here are just a sample of the
options available to the phisher:

1. Framing: If I inject a transparent frame that captures
your keystrokes into the application, how does site auth
protect? There are mulitple ways to inject a frame including:
-luring
-DNS manipulation
-Wireless (utterly ignored even though a tool to do this
was released seven months ago)

2. Session/State attacks: If the application does not
enforce strong sessions and workflow and do so in a
secure manner, any client that *automatically* provides
credentials/tokens/client-side certificates/whatever
(your web browser) will enable a phisher to take actions
on your behalf.

3. Code injection attacks (XST, stored, reflected,
2nd-order, n-order, whatever).

Hardware token or no. Client SSL cert or no.

Right now the phishers are focused on the befuddlingly
broken browser. Microsoft has given them a cornucopia
of low-hanging-fruit.

You fix that and teach the world to use SSL or implement
some smarmy client-side validation and attackers will
move on to items like the above.

My $0.02 USD, depreciating rapidly,

Arian