WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: (not really a) Proposal to anti-phishing

From: "Mike Andrews" <mike () se fit edu>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 14:39:11 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Wall, Kevin [mailto:Kevin.Wall () qwest com]
Sent: Monday, January 24, 2005 2:29 PM
To: Mike Andrews; Rishi Pande
Cc: webappsec () securityfocus com
Subject: RE: (not really a) Proposal to anti-phishing

Mike Andrews writes...

I remember doing a quiz on phishing some time ago.  After much
digging,
here's a link to the quiz (version 2)

http://survey.mailfrontier.com/survey/quiztest.html

Sorry, it doesn't give any results of the survey - perhaps someone
could
email the company and ask about the results, especially which ones
people
didn't get.

Of course, the "quiz" is pretty much useless. There are some obvious
phishing attempts, but the few that look (are?) legitimate, one can't
really tell because all they give you is an image, so you can't really
see what the links are pointing to or do a 'view source', etc.

Yeah, I agree, but I think that what the company was trying to do is see if
people can recognize phishing attempts just by the email content itself (and
the status bar when you hover over a link).  By using an image it forces the
survey takes to use just their eyes and no other technical abilities - a
pretty standard way of normalizing surveys same as choice lists.

But IMHO, I think that HTML e-mail should be outlawed, period. That
alone
might go a long way to eliminating a lot of phishing schemes, especially
the ones that rely on bugs in the MUA's HTML rendering engine to entice
the victims.

Here, here.  Would also get rid of all those cutesy/fancy stationary schemes
our secretaries insist on using :)

Cheers,
Mike.