WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: FW: Tools comparison and evaluation question (AppScan)

From: "Erwin Geirnaert" <egeirnaert () securityinnovation be>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 17:43:58 +0100

Nobody played with HailStorm from Cenzic yet?
From my personal experience: it looks great and has a good performance
to scan web apps. It allows to automate certain things like boundary
testing, privilege escalation or bypass authorization.

Because I do a lot of manual security testing with open-source tools, I
don't like tools that only scan things by fuzzing parameters and show a
lot of false positives. If I can't see how attacks are executed and I
can't customize the attack patterns it has no usage for me.

All depends on what you are looking for: low hanging fruit or an
assessment tool that can be used and shared in the development phase by
developers nd testers.

I hope that the project at Owasp about the web app scan market (is it a
project or an individual initiative?) is able to shed some light on the
real power of commercial tools. I can imagine that when you need
automated assessment tools and only can rely on Google or banners on
security sites (or even mailing list adds :)) to learn about these
products, you don't know what to choose.

Erwin