funsec mailing list archives

Re: Router speeds...

From: "Dr. Neal Krawetz" <hf () hackerfactor com>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 14:13:47 -0700 (MST)

On Fri Nov 25 13:25:34 2005, Roland Dobbins wrote:

You shouldn't notice a difference.

Agreed -- I "shouldn't". :-)

My guess is that you may be experiencing spectrum collision from
other 2.4GHz devices such as phones, microwaves, or APs which belong
to your neighbors (assuming you live in a densely-populated area).
You might want to try changing the channels in use by your wireless
gear around to see if it makes any difference.

The wireless router (all my routers) reside 10 feet underground, in
a cage shielded by grounded rebar and chicken wire.
(I'm not kidding here.  Most homes in Colorado have basements, and
the chickenwire was for my own paranoia.)
According to my wireless laptop, there is no ambient noise.
And the Wifi drops off to zero outside of the cage.
(Measured using iStumbler for the Mac.)

But in any case...
If I tell the Netgear or Linksys to not use the wireless network
("Which wifi? B, G, Both, or Disable", say "Disable") it does not change
the throughput.  NetGear and Linksys are both very slow -- half the
speed of a 5 year old wired router, and less than half of a new wired
router.

Moreover, the Linksys seems inconsistent -- traffic bursts at 3Mb then
fluctuates between 1 and 2.5.  But it never gets to the 6Mb like the D-link.
(If I turned off ALL filtering rules, it becomes more consistent, but
not faster than 3Mb.)

One other thing I just noticed with the Linksys wireless (using iStumbler).
If the Mac is across the room, the maximum signal is around 60%.
If the Mac is 3" from the Linksys, the max signal is only 87%.
And the strength does not change regardless of the channel.
(I just tried all 11 channels.  No significant signal strength difference.)

Good thought, though.
Other ideas?

                                        -Neal
--