funsec mailing list archives

Re: Router speeds...

From: Dude VanWinkle <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 03:28:30 +0000

On 11/26/05, Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk> wrote:
Dr. Neal Krawetz wrote:

So my question is, are all wireless routers slow?

APs drop back to the slowest speed for _all_
communications for any device they see trying to connect/reliably
connecting.  In the latter case, a loosely (aka OOTB default)
configured home WiFi AP (not saying yours is -- in fact, would exepct
the opposite!) would be slowed by any older (802.11b) or marginally in-
range device configured to connect to ANY...

Ja, I think they transmit A, B and G. B slows down A and G is just B
wioth some compression stuff. Your ap will go :send .a @ 54, send .b @
11, send g? ok  g = .b compressed, but G is an add on (or so I was
told)

It stands to reason though, that as only one processor is on the box,
they have to split the processor time between all "standard" protocols
that each one would have to load a different packet format and data
scheme then transmit, then switch to the next one. mebe three
dedicated nics? one for each standard?

-JP
"Thats a lot of overhead for an AP thats gotta get me an 800 MB tiff
of the Olsen Twins in 3 minutes"
-JP

I know that wireless is slower than wired, but why should having a
wireless router slow down the wired connection?
Do all vendors dumb down to the slowest common denominator?