funsec mailing list archives

Re: Router speeds...

From: "Dr. Neal Krawetz" <hf () hackerfactor com>
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 10:06:57 -0700 (MST)

On Fri Nov 25 18:32:53 2005, Nick FitzGerald wrote:

Dr. Neal Krawetz wrote:

<<snip>>
So my question is, are all wireless routers slow?

All?

I'm getting more feedback from people.
(Last night I talked three people into doing benchmarks and a few
experiments for me.)

The consensus:
  - Wireless routers offer slower throughput than wired routers.
    Slower by a factor of 2 or more.
  - Disabling the wireless network (only using the wired ports) does
    not improve performance.
  - Disabling SPI and other filter rules (rely on NAT for external
    protection) does speed up performance for both wired and wireless.
    But the fastest wireless is slower than the slowed wired.

This informal survey covers D-Link, Netgear, Linksys, and Belkin.

The tests:
  - Benchmark using http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/
    Select the two cities that give the best and consistent performance.
  - Only connect one router at a time.
  - Limit router usage to the benchmark (don't go web surfing or nmapping
    at the same time.)
  - For wireless routers:
    - Benchmark via wireless connection
    - Benchmark via wired connection, with wireless enabled.
    - Benchmark via wired connection, with wireless disabled.
  - Disable SPI and filtering rules, then repeat tests.

What are your results?

                                        -Neal
--
Neal Krawetz, Ph.D.