funsec mailing list archives

Re: Router speeds...

From: Chris Buechler <funsec () chrisbuechler com>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 13:41:54 -0500

Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:

On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 01:22:26 EST, Chris Buechler said:

Since wired is slow as well, I would guess it's the number one problem you typically run into with wired performance issues - a duplex mismatch.

Hmm.. I'm not sure. Usually, those manifest as *really* bad throughput
(100mbit pipe, and 40-50kb/sec - those TCP retransmits *really* kill you).

nah, you can easily get 1 Mb through a 100 Mb connection with a duplex mismatch, and probably 1 Mb through a 10 Mb duplex mismatch. I've seen too many networks setup by well-intentioned but clueless people, where they start forcing speed and duplex all over the place (it's a performance tweak!! </sarcasm> I won't get on my soap box :) but only on one side or the other, and end up with bunches of mismatches. I've seen a file server in a situation where duplex was mismatched at 100 Mb, and performance got horrible once it got up to about 10 Mb throughput (it had been operating for a couple years that way without anyone complaining until the load increased).
-Chris