funsec mailing list archives

Re: Router speeds...

From: Chris Buechler <funsec () chrisbuechler com>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 13:56:05 -0500

Dr. Neal Krawetz wrote:

The tests:
 - Benchmark using http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/
   Select the two cities that give the best and consistent performance.
 - Only connect one router at a time.
 - Limit router usage to the benchmark (don't go web surfing or nmapping
   at the same time.)

that's a bad way to benchmark firewalls/routers. The Internet is too unpredictable for that to be a reliable, repeatable indication of anything, when using a single source like that. I'd suggest setting up the routers with a machine on each side, and run something like iperf between the LAN and WAN sides for an indication of best-case single TCP connection maximum throughput. A more common area where these home boxes fall apart is under high pps load. BitTorrent is probably the best way I know of to get this kind of real world load. I'd get as many BitTorrent downloads going as you can, and see what kind of sustained max throughput you can get. Under this situation, I would test directly connected to the Internet, and would make sure to be using enough torrents with sufficiently fast seeds to max out the available Internet bandwidth that you have at your disposal. I'd recommend the FreeSBIE torrent (it always seems to have enough fast seeds to peg my 6 Mb cable modem, last I tried it at least), and a couple Linux distros or something similarly large for good measure. Then repeat both tests for machines on the wireless interfaces.
-Chris