funsec mailing list archives

Re: Router speeds...

From: Martin Wehlou <martin () wehlou com>
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 18:45:21 +0100

I could add to this: DLink DFL-700, which is a Clavister firewall in DLink clothes. I've used mine for more than a year and am pretty happy with it.

It's a "real" firewall appliance with LAN/WAN/DMZ ports and rule sets between each pair, both directions. It does not have the "trigger ports", but has just about everything else. Including users, schedules, syslogging to two hosts, autoupdate of dynamic DNS, etc, etc.

I've not noticed any slowdown due to this appliance, and I can use it up to the 16 Mbit down / 1 Mbit up that my ADSL2+ can deliver, no sweat.

A nice feature is that it has traffic shaping, both as limits and guarantees. It can also map incoming ports to any port/host combination.

The major drawback is that there is no documentation about the Clavister software anywhere I can find. There's some obscure help to be found by hooking up to the serial port and trying out all the commands. As far as I can see, however, all the commands are read- only, except for a few. Maybe some intense hacking would turn up fun things one could do, but I haven't spent much time on it.

J. Martin Wehlou MD, CISSP, CSDP
Uppsala/Sweden, www.wehlou.com
PGP keyId: 0xC7D56E11 http://www.wehlou.com/files/jmwpubkey.asc
blog: urSecta.com