funsec mailing list archives

Re: Hey old people

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 22:09:02 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005, Blue Boar wrote:

Drsolly wrote:
The original PC Bios didn't have hard disk code, so you had to attach the
HD via a device driver. That meant that you couldn't boot from the hard
disk. I actually had one, it was a 10 mb monster from Xebec, costing
£1000. So, since booting from a floppy was the only way to start up the
computer, I wouldn't call it a vulnerability that there was no way to
change that.

None of them had HD BIOS code.  They had hooks that would allow the
add-on card to get its ROM into the POST sequence.  That's what the
whole Debug: G=C800:5 business to do low-level formats was about, you

I think that was particular to the WD HD controllers.

had to talk to the controller BIOS.

Maybe the original PC didn't do a rom scan?

Hm... this is hurting my brain.. I guess it was the AT that was the
first machine that had HD Types, and was HD-aware?

Yes

The 5150A was missing the hook code, as well as the ability to go past
576K physical RAM.

There was a way to go past it, though. I had one of those, and I used
640kb of main memory, plus another 192kb up in rom space, used as a
ramdisk.

I suppose if you want to get silly about it, I also did at least one
5150A BIOS upgrade which fixed both those problems, effectively making
it a B.

I actually used DOs 1.1, I don't remember whether EXEs were available or
not. Are you sure they weren't? It would have meant a severe restriction
on the size of programs, and I don't recollect this.

I'm not 100% sure that's correct, it was a long time ago. :)  Actually,
I never used anything before 2.11(?) significanly myself.  I used 1.0
for like 10 minutes one day, and then sold it to a collector.  I thought
the major features of 2.0 were heirarchical directories, upgrading from
FAT10 to FAT12?, and the introduction of .exes, being the first
non-directly mapped executable format for DOS, an upgrade to the old
CP/M .com files.  I know you couldn't really use a HD before DOS 2.0.

Dos 2.0 was multiprocessing.

Introduction of the TSR hooks?

Right.

It's still missing the memory protection/supervisor mode.

You couldn't do that on an 8086.