funsec mailing list archives

RE: Postage Is Due for Companies Sending E-Mail

From: "Larry Seltzer" <larry () larryseltzer com>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 15:52:01 -0500

SO, I have to go through the same filters that are in place today, but I
can pay to sidestep these if I want to. Which is basically me admitting that
my message is Spam, and would be caught in your filters (which are getting
better all the time IMO).

I think some people are missing the point that they don't just take your
money and wave you through like a toll booth. It's an accreditation service,
and you have to make certain representations about your practices and your
mail or they won't accredit you. E.g. they won't take your money in order to
let you send 419 scams.

Obviously it's Goodmail's customers who will pay the price for this because
it amounts to a new marketing cost for those companies, but there's no
reason to believe it will result in any extra spam or cost for users. AOL
and Yahoo have just outsourced their whitelist.

Larry Seltzer
eWEEK.com Security Center Editor
http://security.eweek.com/
http://blog.ziffdavis.com/seltzer