funsec mailing list archives

Re: Postage Is Due for Companies Sending E-Mail

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 15:22:14 -0500

On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 19:56:25 PST, Gary Funck said:

Dr. Solly writes:
Nothing wrong with that. In England, we have First Class Post and Second
Class Post. We also have a Bulk post rate, and a bulk sorted post rate,
and oodles of others.

Whatever happened with hashcash?
http://hashcash.org/faq/

The problem with hashcash is that systems that run mailing lists would get
swamped having to compute hashcash tokens.  This can of course be solved by
having mailing lists be whitelisted by the recipient.

Unfortunately, nobody came up with a usable way to ensure that the recipient
actually whitelists the list, and nobody wanted to deal with the user support
issues that raises.