funsec mailing list archives

Re[2]: Postage Is Due for Companies Sending E-Mail

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 00:11:38 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 9 Feb 2006, Pierre Vandevenne wrote:

Good Day,

D> The great thing about the Goodmail scheme, is that if a spammer wants to

The bad thing about the Goodmail scheme, at least imho, is that it
will be "yet another spam fighting scheme".

I would probably embrace a truly global 1c per message scenario. This
has drawbacks though: I don't expect the user of this

http://laptop.media.mit.edu/

to be able to pay, or simply to have a payment method at his disposal.
But let's assume that this is a fight that is better fought another
day...

The "pay one dollar here", "modify your dns zone files here", "respond
to a challenge here", "be blacklisted here" etc... etc... schemes add
a lot of confusion and trouble if they aren't universal. Now, as you
said, old stuff is delivered as it usually was. Fine. The first
class/bulk mail analogy holds. However, when I send first class mail,
I only have one entity to deal with, one thing to worry about -
postage. I don't have to establish an account with anyone, don't have
associated joining/administrative/whatever fees etc...

For me, it isn't really a matter of cost, but rather a matter of
practical issues...

(I can't wait for the day I'll use the internet to watch TV, my iPod
to listen to radio and authentic saliva to stamp my e-mails...)

What a great idea. An area of your mouse that you lick to prove (via the
DNA sample) that you are who you say you are.