funsec mailing list archives

Don't buy Russian! (unless it's a bride) [was: Can someone exlpain this to me?]

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2006 08:02:42 +0200

Ryan Counts wrote:
I guess I'm missing the point here, but it seems as if we have a problem
with a British (foreign) company being bought by another foreign
company.  So it's alright if British companies run ports in the US, but
not alright for Dubai (or Middle Eastern?) companies?  Would the same
stink be raised if a German company was the buyer?  How about an Israeli
company?  I honestly don't see a problem here; can someone enlighten me?
I mean, I could see a problem if those shifty Canadians were trying to
sneak in...

I'd be a lot more concerned about a Nigerian or Russian company running my mail servers than I would be with one from Britain or India.

I am not saying Nigeria or Russia can't be trusted, I am saying I would be at a much higher risk from companies run there as the moral line of what's allowed and what isn't on the Internet would be different, their liability would be very different and their security would be extremely difficult.

I'd be far happier to hire a Russian scientist than an American one though, if I am to base myself on nation alone and completely ignore individual organizations and the person him or her self.

        Gadi.

--
http://blogs.securiteam.com/

"Out of the box is where I live".
        -- Cara "Starbuck" Thrace, Battlestar Galactica.