funsec mailing list archives

RE: Can someone exlpain this to me?

From: "Ryan Counts" <rcounts () parkplacetexas com>
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2006 00:23:10 -0600

Yeah, I didn't read the NYT article, thanks for pointing out that bit.
I did read a similar article in Reuters, which had this quote:

[snip]

The Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS), a U.S.
inter-agency panel that reviews security implications of foreign
takeovers of strategic assets, reviewed the transaction and did not
object

[/snip]

I've heard that one line, 'not enough scrutiny', quite a bit lately in
the media and other places, and I keep wondering how you quantify
'enough scrutiny'.  Yes, Dubai is an exceedingly wealthy nation, and
happens to be Islamic.  Are they actively involved in terrorism, either
in financing, planning or other backing?  The reason I brought up my
questions earlier is because this whole deal just feels to me like a
'They're islamists, so they must be a threat' kind of deal, which
doesn't help our relations with the few allies we have in that region.
Another quote from the Reuters article, which I've seen elsewhere:

[snip]

U.S. seaports handle 2 billion tons of freight each year. Only about 5
percent of containers are examined on arrival.

[/snip]

So, with security this tight, this deal is going to create a security
hole where we had none before?

I guess my main question is, should all Middle Eastern countries making
acquisitions in the US be held to higher scrutiny than other countries,
even if they have a track record of fighting terrorism in the past?  And
if so, what quantifies sufficient scrutiny?  And finally, but most
importantly, what's the best delivery method of Vodka?