funsec mailing list archives

Re: Shocker: Bush Defends Spying After NSA Database Report

From: James Kehl <shykta () dione ids pl>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 17:00:59 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 12 May 2006, Brian Loe wrote:

On 5/12/06, James Kehl <shykta () dione ids pl> wrote:
So, what do you interpret "Let he he amongst you who is without sin cast
the first stone" to mean?

You're not serious, are you? This has to do with the pot calling the
kettle black, with the idea that you should clean your own door step
before pointing out that of others; that unless you're without fault
you shouldn't point out others (judge them).

I wanted to hear your interpretation. Someone less enlightened might have
interpreted that quote as implying nobody is truly innocent... which, if I
remember correctly, is the issue stretching this thread out...

If I wanted to be really provocative, I'd ask how you interpreted the fact
that the person saying it didn't throw any stones either... but then I'd
be throwing stones in a sense :)

Seeing as how you haven't a clue about the statement to begin with,
I'm curious as to who you think said it. Then we can figure out if you
understand the context. THEN I'll tell you if they had ever thrown a
stone - according to scripture.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socratic_irony

In my view, he threw plenty of stones (in yet another non-physical sense).
If you can't see the metaphor, feel free to killfile me; otherwise, do you
think you could muster a little more tolerance for the flaws, opaque
allusions, and mediocre jokes of others?

James
[hope I didn't spoil the ending for you, lcam]