funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] U.S. Government to Ask Courts to Toss Phone

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 00:44:52 +0100 (BST)

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006, Henderson, Dennis K. wrote:

In a rhetorical sense (the war on drugs, the war on poverty),
then I can see it. But in the sense of armed conflict?

I'm very much reminded by the war between Eurasia (them) and
Oceania (us) with the personification of the enemy in
Goldstein (bin Laden). This war will, of course last for ever
(I refer to Orwell's war, of course, or do
I?) and is used to justify ever-increasing suppression of the
people of Oceania (and Airstrip One in particular).

Korea - now that was a war, even though we called it a
"police action".
What we're in now, is a police action, even though it's being
called a "war", a fine example of newspeak.

Please help me understand how you can see that the "war on drugs" is a
war and not the "war on terrorism".

I don't think that the "war on drugs" is a war. It's only a war in a
rhetorical sense. I did say that. like "the war on poverty". It's a
metaphor, it isn't supposed to be a literal war.